The scan dimensions are:
- Close-up mode scanning size is a cylinder 100 mm in diameter and 100 mm tall ( 3.9 inches in diameter, 3.9 inches tall )
- Oversize mode scanning size is a cylinder 170 mm in diameter and 170 mm tall ( 6.69 inches in diameter, 6.69 inches tall )
- Max scannable weight on turntable is 2kg ( 4.4 lbs or 70.5 ounces )
Objects with dark parts usually have a poor reflection for the laser beam. Consequently the object structure in dark areas can be lost. Brightly colored objects should not be an issue for the scanner.
Best objects to scan are:
- Matte, not shiny
- Opaque, not translucent/transparent
- Asymmetrical, with abundant scan alignment features
- Light in color, not black or dark
If your object is shiny/reflective or not fully opaque...
If coloring the object is not an option, you may be able to rescue the scan by coating your object with a fine layer of talcum/baby powder. Reflective surfaces will distort the output and the camera won’t pick up any translucency.
If your object is mostly symmetrical...
Symmetrical objects are difficult to scan because in knitting the scans together, there are no obvious features to align.
If your object is black or dark colored...
Dark objects can still be scanned, but will not be as differentiated from the black tent provided.